Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||The azulejos in the Capela de São Roque in Lisbon|
Morais Pereira, S.
|Keywords:||Renaissance majolica;Francisco de Matos;Igreja de São Roque in Lisbon;Portuguese azulejos|
|Publisher:||Laboratório Nacional de Engenharia Civil|
|Series/Report no.:||Reuniões Nacionais e Internacionais (RNI);RNI 104|
|Abstract:||The azulejos in the Capela de São Roque (Saint Roch Chapel) in the church of the same saint, in Lisbon, are justly considered one of the major majolica works made anywhere during the last quarter of the 16th century. The earliest known surviving ensemble of Portuguese manufacture signed and dated, (“Francisco de Matos / 1584”) has long puzzled art historians mostly because their magnificence seems to have sprouted literally by spontaneous generation with no predecessors and few immediate successors. The set may be considered composed of four panels: two lower panels, facing each other, have the attributes of the saint painted on them. One of these, on the Gospel side of the chapel, depicts the dog with the loaf in its mouth (the “Panel of the Dog”) and bears the date and signature. This communication reviews José Queirós’ references to the panels made over a century ago, when a part of the lining was uncovered, and his information is compared with the objective proofs gained from instrumental results. The results also point to a definite technological ancestry that goes counter the notion that the work does not have antecedents.|
|Appears in Collections:||DM/NBPC - Comunicações a congressos e artigos de revista|
Files in This Item:
|GlazeArt2018_Pais_SRoque.pdf||597.06 kB||Adobe PDF||View/Open|
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.